Ain Dara Neo-Hittite Temple
Ain Dara is located in northern Syria, about 65 km. northwest of Aleppo. In 1955 the discovery of a monumental basalt lion led to the excavation of Ain Dara. The temple is 30 by 20 meters in size and consists of three rooms; a small porch, a middle room and an inner room or main hall. The building was constructed and extended during the period between 1300 and 1000 BCE.
Click on the picture for a larger image.
|Bottom Part of a Relief|
Abou Assaf, A. Der Tempel von 'Ain Dara, Mainz am Rhein, 1990.
Abou Assaf A., "Zwei neue Stelenfragmente aus 'Ain Dara," FsHrouda, 1994: 1-6.
de Crombrugghe de Looringhe-Sneyers d'Attenhoven, E. "Un huitième relief de 'Ain Dara au Musée d'Alep," FsNaster2 1984: 13-20.
Hawkins, J. D. Corpus of Hieroglyphic Luwian Inscriptions, Vol 1, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2000: 385-86 and plt. 206.
Orthmann, W. "Zur Datierung des Ištar-Reliefs aus Tell 'Ain Dara," FsNeve 1993: 245-51.
Zimansky, P. "The ‘Hittites’ at ‘Ain Dara," GsGüterbock, 2002: 177-91.
Dick Osseman, D.Osseman Syria Galleries.
Ignacio Sebastian, 1997.