Storm God Stele
The Storm god stele made of basalt was transferred in 1908 to the Istanbul Museum from Maraş where it used to stand in front of a house. Although the top section is missing, it is clear that the Storm God is depicted in a typical pose with a raised right arm, possibly holding a weapon. The surviving part is about 0.42 meter high and 0.31 meter wide. A Hieroglyphic Luwian inscription is scattered in the background and does not follow straight lines. It refers to dedication of sheep and oxen, presumably as offerings, to this Storm God stele. The narrow extension at the bottom of the stele indicates that it used to be seated on a base. The stele is in the Istanbul Archaeology Museum, but not on display.
Click on the pictures for larger images.
Hawkins, J. D. Corpus of Hieroglyphic Luwian Inscriptions, Vol 1, Berlin, 2000: 26970 and plts. 11819. (MARAŞ 5)
Orthmann, W. Untersuchungen zur späthethitischen Kunst, Bonn, 1971. (Maraş B/4)
Stefan Przeworski, Syria 17, 1936
J. David Hawkins, 2000.