Statue of Halparuntiya II
This fragment of a male statue made of granite was first noted in 1906 at the Maraş citadel and was taken to the Istanbul Museum the same year. The surviving section of the statue is the lower part of the body from waist to knees. It is about 1 meter in height and 0.6 meter on each side. Six lines of a Hieroglyphic Luwian inscription cover the three sides of the statue's long skirt, although of the sixth line only some traces are visible. The author, Halparuntiya, identifies himself as the king of Gurgum, son of Muwatalli, and grandson of Muwizi, and talks about his actions against other lands. It is very likely that the Gurgum rulers Mutalli and Qalparunda mentioned in the annals of Assyrian king Shalmaneser III during 858 and 853 BCE refer this Muwatalli and Halparuntiya, who remained submissive to the Assyrians during their reigns. Thus the stele should date to the middle to later part of the 9th century BCE. It is on display in the Istanbul Archaeology Museum.
Click on the pictures for larger images.
Hawkins, J. D. Corpus of Hieroglyphic Luwian Inscriptions, Vol 1, Berlin, 2000: 25558 and plts. 1089. (MARAŞ 4)
Orthmann, W. Untersuchungen zur späthethitischen Kunst, Bonn, 1971. (Maraş B/3)
Bora Bilgin, 2003.
J. David Hawkins, 2000.