Ruins of the Late Hittite city state are located at Coba Höyük near the village of Sakçagözü (Sakçegözü) about 50 km west of Gaziantep. The original name of the city is not known. The site was first noted by Karl Humann and Felix von Luschan in 1883 and first excavations were carried out in 1908 and 1911 by John Garstang of the University of Liverpool. A large palace complex with a gateway decorated with orthostats and statues were uncovered. Several other orthostats found mostly near surface in secondary locations are believed to be part of an outer wall/gate structure. The finds have been dated to the 8th century BCE. In 1939 most of them were transferred to Ankara where today they are displayed in the Anatolian Civilizations Museum. The Lion Hunt orthostat (first image at the bottom row) is in the Pergamon Museum.
Click on the pictures for larger images.
The gateway during excavations
The left wing of the gateway
Double sphinx columnbase
The right wing of the gateway
Genge, H. Nordsyrisch-südanatolische Reliefs, Kĝbenhavn, 1979. (v.1: 15053 and v.2: Figs. 77, 78, 82, 84, 100)
Orthmann, W. Untersuchungen zur späthethitischen Kunst, Bonn, 1971. (Sakçagözü)
Ussishkin, D., "The Date of the Neo-Hittite Enclosure at Sakçagözü," BASOR 181, 1966: 1523.
Tayfun Bilgin, 2006, 2010, 2014, 2019.
John Garstang, Annals of Archaeology and Anthropology 1, 1908.
Heinz Genge, 1979.