The grey basalt stele was first noted in two pieces in 1902 at locations near Restan, which lieas about 22 km south of Hama on the bank of Orontes River, and was acquired by Louvre in 1907. Although the top and bottom parts are broken, it was originally a round topped stele with an original height of about 2 meters. Author is Urahilina, son of Parita, king of Hama. Similar to several other inscriptions of this king (see Hama, Qal'at el Mudiq, Tall ṭīb) it records the building of "this city" and the dedication of the stele to Ba'alatis. Dates to the mid-9th century BCE and currently in Louvre Museum.
Click on the pictures for larger images.
Hawkins, J. D. Corpus of Hieroglyphic Luwian Inscriptions, Vol 1, Berlin, 2000: 407-9 and plt. 217.
J. David Hawkins, 2000 (photo: Louvre museum).