The monument was first noticed by Maryan Sokolowski in 1884 in a plain on the Ilgın-Kadınhanı road near the Köylütolu village. It is a rectangular limestone block 180 cm in length, 90 cm in height, and 100 cm in depth. The front face has a 3-line relief-type inscription. Bottom line is twice higher than the first two lines. The top of the block has a carved cavity which may have served as a basin for rituals or may have contained a statue or stele. The layout of the inscription may suggest that there was originally another block of inscription to the right of this one. It has been reported that the block was originally found in an earth-filled embankment, which has been determined to be part of a very large man-made dam of Hittite period. Like the stele from Karakuyu dam and the nearby Yalburt, Fasıllar and Eflatunpınar monuments, this monument probably also dates to the reign of Tudhaliya IV in the second half of the 13th century BCE. The block is currently in Anatolian Civilizations Museum in Ankara.
Click on pictures for a larger image.
Emre, K. "The Hittite Dam of Karakuyu," in Prince HM T. Mikasa (ed.) Essays on Anatolain Archaeology, Wiesbaden, 1993: 142 (89 and plts. 1821).
Masson, E. "Les inscriptions hiéroglyphiques louvites de Köylütolu et de Beyköy", Kadmos 19.2, 1980: 10622.
Yalburt Yaylası Archaeological Landscape Research Project
Tayfun Bilgin, 2006.
Ignace J. Gelb, Hittite Hieroglyphic Monuments, Chicago: 1939.
Emilia Masson, 1980.