Stele of Kubaba
The round basalt stele with a relief of Goddess Kubaba was found at a location northwest of the citadel mound. It has a 5-line Luwian inscription on its back with a missing top section. The stele was already noted in the mid-18th century by travelers and in 1880-1881 it was transferred to the British Museum. Early excavations in 1911-14 uncovered several small fragments of this stele, three of which are now in the Gaziantep Museum, one in the Vatican Museum and one is lost. More recently in 2015, the head section of the stele (below, top row), which was apparently first found in Karkamış in 1978 and was subsequently lost, was rediscovered in Afşin, Kahramanmaraş and is today in the Gaziantep Museum. The stele was originally 2.30 meters high and 0.74 meter wide. The author of the inscription is the ruler and Country-Lord Kamani who is dedicating a building to Kubaba. In the opening lines Kamani identifies himself as "Country-Lord of the cities Karkemish (and) Melid, son of Astiru, the Country-Lord, great-grandson of Isarwilamuwa, the Country-Lord, [great-great-grandson of] Sangara [
Click on the pictures for larger images.
Marchetti, N. and H. Peker. "The Stele of Kubaba by Kamani and the Kings of Karkemish in the 9th Century BC," ZA 108, 2018: 81-99.
Hawkins, J. D. Corpus of Hieroglyphic Luwian Inscriptions, Vol 1, Berlin, 2000: 140-43 and plts. 40-41. (KARKAMI A31)
Orthmann, W. Untersuchungen zur späthethitischen Kunst, Bonn, 1971. (Karkemis K/1)