Main Page
Türkçe

Boğazköy (Hattuša)

Hattuša was the capital city of Hittites from their beginning in the 17th century BCE until the collapse of the empire in early 12th century BCE. By the 12th century the city was covering an area of 182 hectars, which was surrounded by a 3.3 km long defensive wall. The first westerner to visit and write about the city ruins was Charles Texier in 1834, but it was only in 1880s that Archibald Sayce and William Wright identified the city as the Hittite capital. The first proper excavations were made by Hugo Winckler and Theodor Makridi in 1906, and since 1931 the city has been under almost continuous excavation by the German Archeological Institute. Other than the numerous monumental structures, the excavations revealed over 30 thousand tablet fragments which were part of the Hittite royal archives.


Click on the picture for a larger image.

General view from the north


The reconstructed part of the city wall
Hittite city wall
Lower Town and Great Temple
Lions' basin Lower town Green stone Green stone Lower town Lower town
Lion Gate
View from the inside View from the outside Side view
Yerkapı
Entrance of the tunnel The tunnel (potern) The tunnel exit Southern city wall
Sphinx's Gate (on Yerkapı)
View from the outside View from the outside Sphinx
King's Gate
View from the inside View from the outside Side view of god relief
Nişantaş

Hieroglyphic Chamber (Südburg)



Yazılıkaya
Yazılıkaya Hittite rock sanctuary



Image sources:
Bora Bilgin, Ertuğrul Anıl, Ercüment Süer, Cüneyt Süer, 2011.
For detailed info and pictures refer to http://www.hattuscha.de/